Saturday, April 14, 2012

The Cabin in the Woods

Not the biggest horror/thriller fan; I tend to avoid them. But it's Friday the 13th, and it's Joss Whedon and it's Bradley Whitford, so I gave it a shot. A couple favorable reviews of the movie that I skimmed through also piqued my curiosity and nudged me towards the movie theater.

[It might get spoilery – although I try to avoid that – under the cut]

And, man, am I glad that I went! I... I don't really know what to say about it but it really wasn't what I expected; in a good way.

The Cabin in the Woods is not just another horror movie, that's for sure; I mean, would anyone assume that from Joss? I'm not saying that I know horror movies, or that I've watched enough of them to judge, but it was more of a thriller than horror for me. So many things took me by surprise, and not just the "boo!" surprise (although there was a perfect number of those throughout the movie), the good "whoa!" kind of a surprise.

From their website:
Five friends go to a remote cabin in the woods. Bad things happen. If you think you know this story, think again. From fan favorites Joss Whedon and Drew Goddard comes The Cabin in the Woods, a mind blowing horror film that turns the genre inside out.
And they weren't kidding.

Right from the opening scene, to the title card, through the scary stuff, until the credits rolled, they all caught me off guard; I was scared one moment and laughing the next moment. It was all such a trip for me. It's hilarious, it's scary, it's strange; it's simply amazing. Unicorn, zombies, ghosts, it's all there. I love Whitford's and Fran Kranz's characters; they steal the show, IMO.

By the way, spoiler alert, the one thing that terrified me the most: the frog. The freaking frog. Especially when the girl was holding it. I literally jumped in my chair, lifted my feet up and hugged my legs. Because of a frog. I have a phobia of frogs.

I really don't know what to say about this movie other than that it's amazing. So, TL;DR, go see it! Highly recommended. I mean, it got 93% on RottenTomatoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment