Monday, July 23, 2012

The Dark Knight Rises

Who knew that theaters have 3 AM showtimes?! So of course we went to that one! I have to say, that was quite the experience. Waiting for 3 AM to come wasn't the best part, but leaving the movie theater barely missing sunrise was pretty fun. Oh, and, also, the movie was great.

The Dark Knight Rises is a great ending to a great trilogy. Eight years have passed between the events of The Dark Knight and when this movie started. The Batman has been deemed a criminal who killed Harvey Dent, and Bruce Wayne has been in hiding. I'm not sure if the 8-year gap (I didn't expect such a long gap) has any significance, but Bruce Wayne is not Batman anymore.

I love Anne Hathaway's portrayal of Selina Kyle/Catwoman. From the moment we meet her, we can see what she's capable of. I absolutely love her "I'm sorry, I didn't know it was uncrackable" line (I'm paraphrasing here). Hathaway's performance is definitely one of the best parts of the movie.

I also enjoyed the slow reveal of "Bane's" past. Of course, it wouldn't be Nolan without a twist. I love how even after how villainous Bane is depicted throughout most of the movie, at the end, I kinda sympathized with him. It was love all along; the root of all evil. Although, the scene where Miranda explains everything to Batman is too much of a cliche, the bad guy revealing all instead of killing the good guy. Of course, nuclear bomb and all, they have plenty of time, right? I guess they have to explain it somehow and that's the easiest way to do it.

Everything was nicely wrapped up by the end. With a happy ending, of course; which I was a little bit disappointed by, seeing how dark the trilogy has been. Yes, I thought Batman was going to die before I watched it. But when we're getting to the end of the movie, I thought that it would have been too easy and too obvious. But I guess that twist is also pretty obvious. In any case, it was a very nice ending to Christian Bale's Batman. Although, at times, it feels rushed and yet slow-paced at the same time. Am I making any sense?

I'm definitely going to watch it a second time, maybe in a week or two, but this time after re-watching Batman Begins and The Dark Knight.

Also, that dude from Torchwood is in the movie! I knew I recognized him from somewhere but I just couldn't place him; until the scene where he died, that is.

So, how long will it take until we get a Batman reboot?

No comments:

Post a Comment