Friday, April 17, 2015

Marvel's Daredevil


I somehow told myself that I can only watch 3 episodes a day, and I followed that rule. I was impressed with myself. THIS SHOW IS AMAZING! One of the best parts about the series is definitely its opening credits; it's just beautiful. Moreover, being on Netflix means that it doesn't have to follow the network guidelines, and it gave us dark and gritty. And very bloody. That scene at the end of episode 4 still gives me the shivers. So...cold.

Not to say that I know much about Daredevil or Matt Murdock, but I think Charlie Cox plays him to perfection. Just as a character. His Catholicism guilt was apparent (albeit they kinda skipped over that at the end of the season), and his restrained smile showed that he had Hell's Kitchen's survival on his shoulders. It was very nice to see his college self (Elektra reference!) when he was actually capable of being happy and relaxed; such a contrast to the "current" him. The thing that strikes me the most about Charlie Cox/Matt Murdock is how apparent his burden is, and how alluring his vulnerability is. He makes me want to hug him most of the time. And, most interestingly, there were times that I was actually scared for his life! I don't think I've ever felt that before, watching a superhero show with his name on the title. Also, whoever plays mini-Matt is brilliant!

Another high point of the show: Vincent D'Onofrio as Wilson Fisk/Kingpin. He really is giving Loki a run for his money as the best MCU villain. The parallels between Fisk and Murdock were beautifully spread throughout the episodes; the red painting vs. white painting was my favorite. He somehow gets you to root for him at certain points, but then you remember the evilness that he's done (like that episode 4 ending). Vanessa is also very interesting; I got Claire Underwood vibes early on, but as the show progresses, I think Vanessa is much colder than Claire ever was.

The other supporting characters weren't too bad either. James Wesley is probably my favorite character; he's pretty much evil Jarvis but with more composure. I have a thing for the very loyal types. Leland Owlsley is one that actually kinda surprised me. He's very unsuspecting, so of course he was the one that poisoned Vanessa. Foggy Nelson and Karen Page have great chemistry, especially around Matt. The college Matt and Foggy episode is one of my favorites (avocados at law!). Claire Temple, as I understand, has some kind of a relationship with one of the other Defenders; however, I really like the scenes between Matt and Claire, and I absolutely love how they played their relationship. It's probably a bad idea, so we should move on. Although they show that they both still care for each other. And that was all done in pretty much 1-2 episode instead of dragging it throughout the season (or the whole show, sometimes).

What I need, now, is confirmation on season 2. It was so good and so well received –– I believe it's in the top 3 highest rated TV series on IMDB or Rotten Tomatoes –– that it's almost stupid if they didn't do a second season. I understand that this leads up to The Defenders that teams Daredevil up with Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist, but I still want Matt Murdock being Matt Murdock! Also, we're gonna need to see more of him in court because that was a badass scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment