Sunday, January 3, 2016

Only Lovers Left Alive

This is one of those movies that I have intended to watch for months (maybe even a whole year) without actually watching it. Until, I saw it on TV yesterday. I find the movie to be dark and beautiful. The story and the tone of the movie are strange, but attractively so. I missed the first few minutes of it, but it captivated me right away.

I'm not quite sure what it was that caught my attention. It could just be because it stars Tilda Swinton and Tom Hiddleston, both great actors whose performances I've always enjoyed. It could also be because the movie is dark, overall. I'm also intrigued by the interaction between Adam and Eve. And I'm quite worried that I'm attracted to the lethargic and not-quite-alive characters. I don't know if that's the correct definition, since they're definitely enjoying life with music and literary and dancing, but the way they act makes it more apparent that these characters are undead, unlike a lot of other pop culture vampires. Their life seems fascinating to me. I think I'm drawn to the way they live their lives and their relationship. It's not really textbook romanticism, I don't think, but highly appealing nonetheless.

I do have a few questions about their backstories and the "rules" of vampires in their universe. They roam the night, but I don't know if it's because the sun would kill them or if they're just not a fan of sunlight. What's with the gloves? They look cool, but what are they for? And why ask permission to take them off when entering someone's house? They seem to have super-speed abilities, but are they also unnaturally strong? How can they be so smart? Do they continue to live and gather knowledge, but keep their brain power and intelligence? That their brain functions don't decline, instead seem to able to contain all new information they acquire. That, to me, is the most fascinating aspect. Can you imagine, being able to know that much? And how the hell does she know *everything*? She can touch or see things and know the exact year it was created.



As a side note, I think it's refreshing the fact that the main actress is older than the main actor, who's her love interest. It's an issue that has been brought up recently, about Hollywood, that usually the main actor is significantly older than their love interests. However, in this case, Tilda is 15-20 years older than Tom, I believe, and yet not a lot of people mentioned it. Their fetching performances are definitely worth the conversation more than the age issue, for sure; it was just a little thing I noticed.

No comments:

Post a Comment