Sunday, May 25, 2014

Fleming: The Man Who Would Be Bond

I was never really a James Bond follower, until Daniel Craig took the role. I have since watched all Bond films, although I wouldn't say that I'm a big fan. He sure is cool, and (some of) the movies are fun to watch, but that's about it. And I absolutely know nothing about Ian Fleming.

The only reason I watched Fleming is because it starred Dominic Cooper, my latest celebrity crush. But I was pleasantly surprised by the show. I understand that it was fiction; a dramatized biopic. Dominic said, in an interview, that the show is more about how Ian would like his life to be remembered than how it really was. So it was quite exciting and very Bond-like. There were a few nods to Bond –– the most memorable was the drink Ian ordered –– but nothing too aggressive.

Fleming tells the story of Ian Fleming's life on the eve of World War II. He was a disappointment to his family, before turning into a spy, then a war hero. He then took his experiences to create James Bond, who could very well be Fleming's fantasy.

Dominic Cooper in the war era really reminded me of his Howard Stark in Captain America: The First Avenger. I really hope he gets to reprise that character, regularly, on Agent Carter later this year (or is it early next year?).

No comments:

Post a Comment