Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Bones: Season 1

After finishing Angel, I decided to follow David Boreanaz and watch Bones. I'm at the end of season 1 (already) and I still can't make up my mind if I actually like this show. Not saying that it's bad, but it still hasn't got me hooked. The fact that I went through the season quickly just proves that I have no life, not that I love the show. I'm sure it's a good show, being in its eighth season and all, but I'm still waiting for that one thing (other than Boreanaz's face) that will get me hooked.


The thing that turns me off the most is probably the writing. They just seem to try to spell every single thing out for viewers. We viewers aren't that dumb. I understand that it's a procedural show; it has a lot of technical/scientific language that we don't understand. But it's not just the language. Sometimes, it feels like they try to explain every single thing that they do, every single scene. I actually feel insulted, sometimes. It seems to be an enjoyable show, if I can get past this. It's probably the wrong show to watch, after a Buffyverse marathon. It's almost the opposite of a Joss Whedon show, which usually uses a lot of metaphor and sarcasm and subtle jokes. Buffy and Angel just seem a lot...smarter.

The other issue that I have is that I just can't connect with the characters. I actually find Emily Deschanel's Dr. Temperance Brennan to be very annoying most of the time, which is bad, being the main character and all. I know she's incredibly smart, but I'm not a fan of her personality. I hate the fact that she often undermines Booth's authority at crime scenes or during interrogations. I understand that they're partners, but he's the one with the badge. She seems to have no self-conscience. I know she's supposed to be that character, all into science and facts; but her inability to sense the temperature of a room is just irritating.

Also, I just can't wrap my head around the fact that she's so badass that one punch or kick can beat the tough guys. She knows her martial arts, I get that, but the bad guys are supposed to do, too. The fact that she can overpower others so easily is just not convincing. They probably could use a better stunt coordinator (or stunt actor for Deschanel). Some of the action look lazy.

And how did Angela, an artist who at one time minored in Computer Science, built her own super program? A lot of the time I see her stuff, my reaction is simply: "Oh, come on!" It feels like her character is just put in there to provide Brennan with a female friend, and her super computer + program to help solve cases a lot faster and easier.

In any case, since I'm only at season 1, I'm hoping that I understand it better, hence like it better, from season 2 onward. At the very least, I don't mind staring at David Boreanaz looking better than ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment