Friday, March 9, 2012

Just one more (tiny) Doctor Who rant

It's just that whenever Matt Smith does or says something, I wonder what it would be like if David Tennant was the one doing or saying it. It just makes me miss him as the Doctor so much! And it's not helping when Matt says David's lines ("don't blink; don't even blink") or does something similar to what David used to do. Also, I find Matt's Doctor to be very – odd. Makes him more alien. I guess he is alien, so him acting strangely isn't actually strange. But, UGH! I MISS DAVID TENNANT!

Back to the show itself...

I've just finished watching the Weeping Angels episodes, "The Time of Angels" and "Flesh and Stone." I have to say, I was quite disappointed by the first three episodes. Especially the Daleks; what the hell did they do to the Daleks?! They look ridiculous now! Not that they looked particularly threatening in the first place, but it's almost like a joke, how colorful they are!

But, the Angels episodes were quite good! That's Steven Moffat at his best, in my opinion; doing episodes that are intense and determined to scare us. And yes, I was still scared by the angels. I was skeptical at first, because "Blink" was such a brilliant episode – the best Doctor Who episode ever – that these episodes would be disappointing. It's not as great, but the two episodes were pretty good. A huge step up from the previous three!


Although, the did remind me a lot of the library episodes ("Silence in the Library" and "Forest of the Dead"), which are also written by Moffat. The part where the angels absorbed the energy and killed the lights, I thought, was very similar to the shadows. They *are* all Moffat's episodes, and they are all amazing episodes, so it's understandable why they might be similar. I just thought the same formula shouldn't be used twice.

But other than that, they were very entertaining episodes. I'm particularly interested in the weeping angels. Where did they come from? How powerful are they? Are they connected to the Time Lords' "weeping angels" on "The End of Time"?

The episodes also marks the return of River Song (Alex Kingston). I have somehow managed to avoid any spoilers (yes, I heard it in her voice) of who she really is, but I think she's the Doctor's wife. It just seemed like that kind of chemistry. And even Amy, in "The Time of Angels," thought so. Actually, when I watched that, I couldn't make up my mind if it's actually a hint, or just Moffat trolling us because he knows that that's what most of us would think, at this point.

She's another interesting character that should come back a few more times in these two seasons. I really can't wait to see it all unravel.

At this point, from the Doctor's timeline, I assume they've only met twice; once in the library episodes, which is the last time they met through River's timeline, when she dies, and another when the Tenth Doctor gives her a version of his sonic screwdriver. It would be very interesting to see them cross paths in different points in their timelines.

I am still a little bit resentful of Matt Smith, but I really am looking forward to the next episodes. They are getting better, which I am very excited about. But I hope we get to see Rory back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment