Monday, February 20, 2012

No Pressure

This is the one comedy show that manages to make me cry time and time again. Even though this time it was just one tiny little tear, it was still tears.


Let's go back to the end of the last episode, "The Drunk Train". I'm pretty sure most, if not all, fans of the show were left wondering, "seriously? We're doing this again?" But I have faith in the writers (and spoilers and/or fan reactions on forums etc) so I wasn't too worried about it. I mean, I'm sure the writers knew that Ted telling Robin he loved her is beating a dead horse. They know what they're doing; they *are* 7.5 seasons into the show by now.

So let's break this episode down to the three story-lines (Ted/Robin, Marshall/Lily, Ted/Barney):

Ted/Robin
Yes, I have to be honest, I was worried for a few seconds there that Ted was actually serious. Up until he suddenly says that he's going to bed. And yes, when Robin kissed him, all I could think about was "what the fuck, Robin?!" but I guess I have to understand the situation she was in; all the emotions going through her head within the past couple of days must have been crazy. She was (somehow) ready to settle down, got engaged to a guy she doesn't really love (nope, I'd deny that she loved Kevin forever!), broke up with the guy, and had her ex-boyfriend/current-roommate telling her he loved her. Again. That's a lot to process, especially for someone like Robin who doesn't really do well with the emotion stuff.

I've known, from various spoilers and fan forums/communities that Robin would have to move out of Ted's apartment at some point, as a direct aftermath of the Ted/Robin/Barney relationship downfall. We're nearing the end of the season, unfortunately, so I guess it had to happen, and I am *so* glad that it happened sooner rather than later. Now, can we all say that the Ted/Robin thing is finally over?

Marshall/Lily
I don't have much to say on their storyline, really. I just thought that it was smart of the writers to do. This is something that they're good at. Now that it's planted, they can explore all these bets at later episodes. I sure do hope they do; show who wins each bet, either as a main storyline or as a passing-in-the-background thing that makes watching the show all the more exciting.

Ted/Barney
In particular, the scene that made me cry in this episode. It's the scene where they talked about what happened at the end of "Tick, Tick, Tick" (which I blogged about, quite extensively). As I mentioned in the blog post, I was quite excited to see how Ted is going to address what he saw.


Well, I was disappointed with the fact that they breezed through it. I really wanted a deep heart-to-heart scene between Ted and Barney. Still, I was glad that they addressed it at all. And Barney's reaction was just ಥ_ಥ. Freaking NPH being such a great actor; it really shows how heartbroken Barney is. I'm really happy with that, to be honest. Especially the fact that he wants to forget about it and move one. He deserves it.

Just one more wish, to the HIMYM writers: please don't let Robin slide that easily. She has never really properly apologized to Barney for what she did to him. And look at how much it hurt him. I'm waiting for the confrontation scene between my beloved BRoTP.

~ *** ~

Overall, I thought it was a good episode. I love that they resolved the Ted/Robin/Barney situation (at least for the time being, between Barney and Robin). I wonder, have we seen any good Barney/Robin scenes after their baby-scare? It almost seems like they're trying to stay away from each other, which is good and appropriate, but I hope that doesn't last long. They should resolve their issues and get together already! Anyways, quite excited to see where Robin would go next. This season is about her growth, and I know that her career is supposed to take off, so I'm really looking forward to the upcoming Robin storyline.

No comments:

Post a Comment